Thursday, March 29

Something nice at work!

This week was stressful because it's all out in the open that my London project is going to be late.  Management meetings, emails, grumblings, finger pointing, the works. My stomach has been in knots.

Thankfully there were two very nice things today.

My boss Tank is super supportive and is doing what he can to help take the heat off me and hit our last ditch go/no-go date of mid-April.  No matter what happens, I can honestly say I am so happy to have met him. He is an all around great guy.

Another all around great person is this woman, Kay.  We've been on two big projects together and she has always done an amazing job. We were never especially close, but very cordial. The past few weeks we bonded over turning 40. Then sadly, her father passed away, so I'd check in with her to make sure she was okay. Her family is in India, so I felt bad she was in mourning so far away.

Today she came by my desk and handed me a card. She said it was for my birthday, but she kept forgetting to give it to me.

She walked away as I opened it. There was a nice message and a TD Bank gift card inside! It didn't have an amount on it, but still, wow!! It was such a thoughtful and completely unexpected gesture that I was a bit in shock.  I went running over to her desk and thanked her profusely.

A little while later I wrote her an email saying how much it meant to me after a hard week and how kind she was for doing this.  She wrote:

"You are welcome. You deserve to be treated special!"

Whaaa?? Me?? SO SWEET!

I felt weird immediately looking up the gift card amount, so I waited another hour or so.  I was still so surprised by it!! I figured maybe it was a few dollars for coffee or something...BUT IT WAS $50!! What the hell? I can't believe it!

This week really sucked because I feel like a complete an utter failure.  Then Kay just came out of left field and made me feel like I matter, that I'm actually a nice person, not some awful dragon lady fuckup that people hate working with.

Kay gave me so much more than $50. She made me feel appreciated, liked, and worthy.

That is priceless.

Thank you so much, Kay. It was the perfect gift at the perfect time.

No comments: