Friday, January 19

Turning 40!

In 49 days I will be 40 years old. FORTY! That's insane!!

I won't believe it! I can't believe it!*

A couple of months ago I was getting my haircut. I mentioned to the stylist that I was going to be 40 and she didn't flinch! I'm used to the, "No you're not!" or "Get outta town!" the latter of which, no one has actually said to me ever, but I like the sound of.

That was the first time turning 40 weirded me out. I've never been one to care about my age, probably because I've never been this old before.

I couldn't figure out what was bothering me. Am I not the person I want to be at 40? I don't know...did I want to be anyone else by now?

I did a little digging into past Thighs.  Per my blog, there were only two things I wanted to do before 40:

1. Pay off my credit card debt. TASK COMPLETE!

2. Have a kid. TASK DELETED.

When I was around 36 I was very much on the baby train. I even considered asking MD to impregnate me and I would be a single mother.  Since then I've clearly changed my mind and I'm glad. I absolutely love babies. I love toddlers. I love all kids until the age of 13 and then I really don't know what to say to them because in a weird way I revert back to 13 around them and worry they'll think I'm a dork. An old dork.

Anyway, not having a kid was the best decision I've ever made. I have too many mental health issues and too many activities. Sleeping is my new favorite hobby and a kid would get in the way of it.

And here's my AHA moment.

My problem with 40 is not that I didn't have a kid...it's that I AM NOT A KID.

At 40 I am 100% not a kid anymore. I am an adult. Sure some people would say I was an adult at 35 or 30. Not my 20s because well, read this blog from the beginning.

But at 40?? No denying it now. I'm an adult. BLECH.

On the plus side, you know what's cool about being an adult with no debt and no children?

I'm going to Portugal for my 40th!  I'm visiting my college roommate Blancs for a week. Yay!

And then MD turns 40 in June, so we're going to Hawaii for two weeks in September for a double 40th celebration!

WOO HOO!!

I'm sure I'll have a few more "YIKES!" moments over the next seven weeks, but it'll be fine.

The happy truth is my life gets better and better with every decade.

So come on 40. Let's do this.




*That was a Roger Rabbit quote.



No comments: