Wednesday, October 12

Kicking Ass and Taking Names

Before we got engaged I referred to us as "The Monegos", which comes from combining both of our real last names. I started using that on our Christmas cards once we moved in together.

When we got engaged I decided to stay Thighs McGee rather than changing my name to Thighs Donkey. Who is this Thighs Donkey chick? What is she like? What is her deal?  Am I still me? If I am still me, why change my name?

It was only this past Sunday when I had a change of heart. All of a sudden I liked the idea of being "The Donkeys". I felt like I wanted to be a family with one name, but at the same time I still don't know if I want to be Thighs Donkey. I guess I could still call us "The Donkeys", but that might get confusing. "The Monegos" are confusing too though. UGH. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Thankfully I don't have to make this major decision now. Yes, changing my name is a way bigger decision than marrying MD.

I've spent almost 40 years trying to figure out who Thighs McGee is, 10 of those years I've shared on this blog. Why the fuck would I change my identity now? Would I have to spend another 40 years figuring out who Thighs Donkey is??

We got our marriage license on September 6th, our SIX YEAR meetiversary. I signed it McGee, so it's too late to change it now. I'm glad because I have a feeling I will regret it. 

It's a shame women change their name right away, unless they are absolutely sure they want to change it. Stress and emotions are so high right now that I seriously can't imagine making that lifelong decision and dealing with all of the paperwork that goes with it.

So instead I got three names - Thighs McGee, The Donkeys when we're with his family, and The Monegos as our return address name.

Done and done.

No comments: