Friday, May 7

A night with Tom Petty makes me sweaty.

It's Friday night. I'm home because I spent a shitload of money the past few weeks and don't have any spending cash until payday.

I never thought I'd say this, but I like budgeting. I fucked myself over with my debt in my twenties, but fortunately I took control of the situation before it got really bad. All things remaining equal (salary, interest rates, payments), I will be out of debt in three years. It's not ideal, but at least there's an end in sight. It could have been a lot worse.

To clarify, I am nowhere near as frugal as a person in debt should be. My monthly "budget" calculation is Gross - Bills - Needs (groceries, prescriptions, house/personal items, and laundry) = FUN MONEY! My fun money spending is then categorized in one of three ways:

Socializing - money spent in the company of others: movies, bars, dinner, bars, sporting events, plays, bars

Shopping - money spent on something I now own (besides the necessities) or lottery tickets. Yes, Ruth Clare has me playing the fucking lottery now.

Other - money spent on anything else which is usually food and coffee during work hours. I don't eat out everyday, but it sure adds up in Midtown.

I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but since April 15th (my budget always starts with that paycheck) I have spent $968.21 on fun. The previous week I spent $775.05 going to and hanging out in California. Holy moly.

So really, if you ever hear me complain I'm broke, please tell me to go fuck myself. I am not broke by any means, I just have disposable income that I'm really fucking good at disposing.

Case in point, I bought a six-pack tonight even though I told myself I couldn't spend any cash. I'm drinking Magic Hat Vinyl Spring Seasonal. It's okay. It probably tastes better on tap. Do they always write things on the bottle caps? I rarely buy beer to drink at home, so I never noticed. The title of this post was on the cap of my first beer. The second: "Buy your gal growlers with her flowers."

I like budgets and rhymes. And spending money.

1 comment:

Jennifer Juniper said...

Ugh. I'm terrible at not spending. BETTER now...but terrible.