Tuesday, November 13

Post Breakup Fun (PBF)!

Thanks so much for the kind words and support about the break-up.  Breakup or break-up? Whatever. Hopefully this will be the last one of my life!

I'm obviously a plethora of emotions right now.  I'm lonely, sad, embarrassed, scared, disappointed, proud, empowered, mad, the list goes on.  Thankfully Therapy Thursdays are back, plus my doctor recommended I double my anti-depressant dosage. I was hesitant, but I trust her.  She pointed out my drinking/eating binges and lack of motivation are key indicators I'm depressed again and have been for a while.  She's right, of course.  I haven't been well since June.

To help get over MDLL once and for all, I've decided to drown my sorrows in....


wait for it...


movies!!  It's a healthy and sober alternative to my preferred choices of escapism.  I'm banging through (heh) my Netflix queue and hitting the theater with a vengeance.  Some recent flicks and my highly insightful, long, drawn out reviews...

Theaters

Wreck-It Ralph -  SO FUN. I loved it. Great for thirty-somethings who remember the old video games.

Skyfall - Nothing special, but Javier Bardem was great.

Rope, a rereleased 1948 Hitchcock film -  Okay. Film students would appreciate how it was shot though.

Cloud Atlas, Lincoln, and The Birds this week!  (Look how fancy I'm being with the italics!)

Streaming

The Cabin in the Woods - EXCELLENT. I don't like scary movies anymore, but this is so much more than a scary movie.

9 to 5 - Very funny. Amazing how women in the workplace have come so far and yet haven't gotten anywhere. Dolly Parton rules.

Manhattan - I loved Woody Allen movies as a kid and it's fun to watch them again as an adult. Yes, he's out of his mind, but who isn't?  Also, I love seeing old NYC.

Heathers - Another fun flick from my youth. Who are the Winona Ryders and Christian Slaters of this generation?

Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story - I am so happy I'm into politics and current events now. So adult!  Rippie recommended this documentary about the RNC campaign manager in the Bush Sr. years. Fascinating and disturbing.

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price - I can't believe Wal-Mart gets away with abusing their employees and ruining small communities.  I am so glad there aren't any in the city.

Timer - A fun and thoughtful sci-fi rom-com. A device implanted into your wrist tells you the exact date and time you will meet your soulmate.  I wasn't feeling the lead actress, but the concept is genius.

Dial M for Murder - I've always been a big Hitchcock fan and I'm having fun watching them all again. This movie is brilliant.

Under the Boardwalk: The Monopoly Story - No joke, there is a HUGE international Monopoly championship every few years.  This 19 year old kid from Norway won the last one. He's like model-y and stuff, right?

No comments: