Monday, May 28

What's in a name?

I'm the type of person who is quick to give you a nickname ie Jenny-Jen, Biznotch, Lemons, whatever. I'm also the type of person who has alter egos and names inanimate objects.

Delilah Foray is what I call my apartment. Delilah is a biblical whore, Foray is actually "4A" my apartment number. I've lived here for about three and a half years. I love her more and more every day, especially when I come home after a mini-break.

Dee is my favorite color blurple, blue and purple for you slow folk. My living room is blue, my bedroom is purple, my bathroom is green. The kitchen is off to the side by the front door. I painted one wall midnight blue and then made stripes on the other wall. I still haven't hung many pictures, but she's coming along nicely. Delilah really is my home...I've never felt like I had one before.

I've mentioned Bethany Beergut before. She's come back for a visit this winter and oddly enough, I'm okay with her now. I've embraced my beergut and look forward to filling her with more delicious brews. I do not however want her to keep growing!

Ruth Clare Jenkins is my alter ego, not to be confused with my superhero name of Red-Faced Wonder (RFW). Ruth Clare is a feisty 81 year old woman. She's got some youthful pizazz, but is pretty much the stereotypical senior citizen. Ruth likes all things Matlock, Wheel of Fortune, logic problems and TV Guide crossword. She constantly urinates, knows where all the bathrooms are in the Port Authority and Penn Station. While Ruth doesn't steal, she'd probably take some Equal or Sweet-N-Low packets if she used sugar in her coffee.

Huh. Now that I'm writing about Ruth Clare, I'm realizing she's a lot like my grandmother who passed away a few years ago. I'm surprised I didn't notice that before, then again Ruth Clare could be any one's grandmother.

Ummm...yeah, I got nothing. Hope you had a good holiday weekend!

No comments: