Monday, July 30

Seriously, B&N?

I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday looking for Imagine: How Creativity Works by Jonah Lehrer.  I didn't know what section it would be in, so I looked it up on the B&N website, then asked an employee because it wasn't listed.

When I went to the counter I was taken aback by the price, $26.00 plus tax.  Having worked in publishing for ten years, I knew this was in the normal hardcover price range.  I couldn't put my finger on why it bothered me, though.

Later I went to look up something on my phone and saw this:


I guess the online cost didn't register when I was at the actual register. The price for the same book was TEN DOLLARS less on their own website.

I understand shopping online almost always saves you money, but that is ridiculous. I thought I was doing a good deed by giving their brick and mortar some business.  While I don't read as much as I used to, I do enjoy going to a bookstore.  In fact, I don't really like shopping online at all, but now that I pay attention to my spending habits, there's no way I can give up going the cheaper route.

Seriously, B&N?  I'm so disappointed.

No comments: