Sunday, January 6

Can this job be saved?

I'm sad. On the plus side, it's nice to be able to feel only one emotion at a time. It's hard keeping them all straight.

I saw some Company people last night before the Guitar Hero marathon. Most of them are and will continue to be my friends; it was good to see them for a hot minute.

I haven't been around any Company peeps since I left though, so I guess it's only natural that I'm a little weirded out. Then I read this article on Yahoo. Here's the section that made me feel better:

Your Health Is Failing

"If you tell someone you're in an abusive relationship with a guy and he's making you physically ill, they're like, 'Get out, get out,'" says Trunk. "But, if you tell them your job's making you sick, they say, 'I know, I hate my job, too.'"

As Trunk implies, we're freakishly loyal to jobs that beat us down. Either that, or we're utterly complacent. But it's a safe bet that there's no rule in your employee handbook saying you have to put up with work-related migraines, insomnia, and ulcers. If Sunday night dread is costing you a small fortune in doctor's visits and prescription drugs, it's high time you got out of Dodge.


Bridget always said that Company was my abusive boyfriend. I feel Company was more like the boyfriend I desperately loved and obsessed over, even though he didn't meet my expectations. Instead of getting out I made myself sick trying to change him, rather than accepting him for who he actually is.

I know in my heart that leaving Company was the right thing to do, but it's still sad. I guess it will be for a while. Let's hope my next gig is equivalent to a rebound boyfriend with a huge penis and a trampoline.

No comments: