Thursday, January 3

Thank you Jennifer Angel

Yesterday was the first day it hit me. I was walking down 6th Avenue and noticed that it was about 1:30pm. I immediately thought of Furball eating his damn frozen noodles at his desk. I started cracking up. I laughed so hard that I was almost crying. I think I frightened some tourists.

So the $64,000 question: what the fuck have I been doing with myself? Well a whole lot of everything actually. I've been writing like a mad woman, reading, cleaning, job hunting, walking, shopping (exchanging really), and thinking. Lots of thinking. And get this...sort of, kind of, well, dating. I met a guy at the Jets game on Sunday. We talked on the phone a few times and we're going to meet up for drinks early next week. Weird.

I have to say, everyone should take a break at some point in their lives. While I definitely am not doing it the responsible way (I = broke), I am having an absolute blast. Today I did something I have always wanted to do: sit in Starbucks writing for two hours bra-less, smelling like someone who hasn't showered in three days (since I haven't). I am totally living the dream...

What's next? A job is a must, that's for sure. I need moola. My SVA class starts in a couple of weeks AND I'm going to attend my friend Pandy's writing seminar. I also have a few book ideas floating around in my head so I'll be crankin' them out the next couple of weeks, too.

My biggest decision this month...

Should I buy a Mac so that I can start fucking around in Photoshop and Illustrator?

I want to be a zillion things right now: a writer, an artist, a colorist, a children's book author, a graphic designer. The writing part is easy enough, but I have zero experience with a Mac or design applications. Bridget can vouch for my lack o' Mac skills. I'm annoying to watch when using one. Just answer me this, why aren't there two mouse buttons and a scroll??

Since most designers use Macs I figure I need to go for it and buy one. The problem is that I don't have the cash; I'll just be adding more to my mountain of debt. I need to decide a few things.

Is buying a Mac completely necessary? If so, is it "debt" or an "investment" into my future?

I am stumped. Any advice out there?

My mom definitely doesn't want me to buy one because of my finances. She didn't get too evil about it either; her argument was sound and (more importantly) at a normal pitch. She hasn't really understood my career path and I don't blame her. My parents' generation got a job and kept it forever whether they liked it or not. Gosh I don't know if they ever questioned liking their job in the first place.

Both of them really do try to understand what I'm doing and eventually come around. The best part is not when they have a change of heart, but why. My favorite one with my dad: I was going to move in with a guy friend during college. My dad was soooo totally angry about it at first and said no effing way. The next day he changed my mind. The reason? Three's Company. If Chrissy and Janet could live with Jack and not have sex, I could live with Noah and not have sex.

Know what usually makes my mom change her mind about things? Horoscopes. The Daily News Horoscopes to be exact. Mine for today:

Pisces
To make money, you have to spend money, and this will become apparent to you in the first few months of the new year. Putting money back into your business or career will be beneficial on all levels. Whether it's investing in your mind, additional study or in the equipment you need to perform your job, it will be important to spend some money on this level.

Thank you Jennifer Angel. While I'm still on the fence about buying a Mac, you just saved me from hearing any complaints about it from my mom for awhile. Much appreciated.

No comments: